Monday, 24 July 2017

Anime Architecture: Backgrounds of Japan

I popped into the House of Illustration after a glorious hour introducing Bean to the fountains in Granary Square.  To be honest, I'd been most appealed by the Jacqueline Ayer exhibition (pretty predictable of me, I know), which turned out to be closed.  So I explored Quentin Blake's Life of Birds (lovely - what is it about birds, of all things?  He tries to answer this, but he's not the only illustrator to love birds - perhaps I'll come back to this in a future blog), and then an exhibition of backdrops from Japanese Anime films.  Not my bag at all, usually, so very good for me to see something different!
It took a while to get into - I'm not traditionally a fan of the cool, clinical lines of futuristic cities (above - by Hiromasa Ogura for Ghost in the Shell) BUT ... I couldn't help but be mesmerised by the sheer talent of the artists and utterly intrigued by the complexity of developing an animated film like this.  To be honest it clicked into place for me at the end of the exhibit when I saw some cuts from the actual films - THEN I found myself fascinated and absorbed by how they manage to put such things together.
Along the way, I was chiefly drawn in by the gorgeous, obsessive complexity of Takashi Wasabe's layout drawings for Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, a world (on a boat, I think) of tubes and pipes ...