Saturday, 5 August 2017

Pani

A corner of the Natural History Gallery at Horniman Museum is devoted to a contemporary interpretation of the Museum collections.  I love this corner very much, though I often have a three year old in tow who drags me past to see the walrus!
For now, there is a beautiful display by Daksha Patel, exploring people's relationship with water.  My attention was caught both by the beauty and the use of materials - she has 'edited' a satellite map of water with illustrative drawings of the creatures that live there and embroidered patterns.  I love this interaction of embroidery (a traditional, meticulous and very hands on, unmechanical craft) with the abstract beauty of satellite photography.
She has also created a series of rustic pots, collapsing the form of the pots to reflect the effects of pollution on the world.